This Vegan Pot Pie might be a hit with everybody on the dinner! It’s stuffed with chickpeas and greens with a fluffy biscuit topping. Made with crops!
Something with a fluffy, buttery biscuit on prime is a winner in my e book. Simply take a look at the fluffiness!!!
I’m getting forward of myself right here. I apologize. Let’s begin from the start!
I’ve had “Vegan Pot Pie” written in my countless listing of recipe concepts since fall 2016. It was a type of recipes I reeeeally wished to make, however life occurred and I missed my alternative to expertise the deliciousness. I used to be additionally nonetheless working via my concern of white flour and vegan butter. However now I settle for that these meals have a spot in our diets once in a while to consolation our souls 😋. Hooray for meals freedom!
This yr I used to be decided to make a vegan pot pie that was equally as scrumptious as all of the pot pies I ate after I was youthful. Do-it-yourself and these frozen pot pies. I vividly bear in mind my routine of grabbing a frozen particular person rooster pot pie as soon as every week to look at The Greatest Loser.
Oh myyyyy, have we come a good distance since then!
I’ve two issues to say about that. One, this vegan pot pie is method higher as a result of no animals have been harmed🐔 and it’s simply extra tasty. Two, I watch waaaaay higher TV than The Greatest Loser these days. It was a part.
All of it begins with the filling! I stuffed this vegan pot pie with allllll the greens: onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, corn and inexperienced peas. Be at liberty so as to add mushrooms or inexperienced peas to the combo! The recipe is fairly forgiving, so you need to use any greens you’ve got available. As an alternative of rooster, we’re utilizing chickpeas! They’re an important supply of fiber and plant protein. Mainly magical beans🌟 .
Let’s discuss concerning the biscuit topping state of affairs. I didn’t wish to go the crust route as a result of crusts are form of finicky to make and boring to eat. Doesn’t a buttery, fluffy AF biscuit sound so significantly better?! I believed so, too.
That’s all there may be to it! Loaded vegetable filling and mushy, pillowy biscuit topping. The perfect couple since Britney and Justin; don’t argue with me on that one.
I hope you make this vegan pot pie for your whole family members, plant-eaters and carnivores alike, and watch their eyes widen after they take a chew of this deliciousness! Let me know should you cook dinner it – I all the time love to listen to about your kitchen adventures.
Vegan Pot Pie with Chickpeas
Recipe sort: Primary Meal
Cook dinner time:
This Vegan Pot Pie might be a success with everybody on the dinner desk! It is stuffed with chickpeas and greens with a fluffy biscuit topping. Made out of crops!
- For the filling:
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium white or gold potato, chopped into ½-inch items
- three garlic cloves, minced
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup corn, recent or frozen
- ½ cup inexperienced peas, recent or frozen
- 1½ cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons flour (entire wheat or all-purpose)
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch (or arrowroot starch)
- 1 tablespoon dietary yeast
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- For the biscuit topping:
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup dairy-free butter (I exploit Earth Steadiness)
- ½ cup ice chilly water
- Recent rosemary, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a medium skillet, heat slightly oil or grease the pan with cooking spray. Add onion; cook dinner for 5-7 minutes, till onions start to brown. Add carrots, celery, and potato; cook dinner for Eight-10 minutes, till the vegetable are semi-tender. Add garlic; cook dinner for 1 minute till aromatic. Add chickpeas, corn and inexperienced peas; cook dinner till heated via, if greens are frozen.
- Add broth, flour, tapioca starch, dietary yeast, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook dinner for 10 minutes, stirring often, till the combination thickens.
- In a big casserole baking dish or forged iron pan, add the chickpea and vegetable filling.
- In a big bowl, add flour, baking powder and salt; stir to mix. Add butter. Utilizing a pastry blender or fork, reduce the butter into the flour till it’s in small items. It ought to appear like coarse, moist sand. Slowly pour within the water, stirring with a wood spoon, till a dough kinds.
- Dump the dough onto a floured floor; knead a couple of instances to get a easy dough. Utilizing a rolling pin, roll the dough right into a rectangle the form and measurement of your baking dish. Fastidiously place the dough on prime of the filling within the baking dish.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, till the filling is effervescent and the biscuit topping is golden and crispy.
- Serve with recent rosemary as a garnish.